Class Size Appeals
THE CHOICE ADVICE SERVICE IS NO LONGER IN OPERATION
Feel free to use the information on this site, however it will not be updated and may quickly be out of date. All enquiries should be directed to Kirklees Pupil Admissions.
Class sizes in Foundation and Key Stage 1 (Reception to Year 2) are subject to the Infant Class Size legislation: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/396917/2015_Infant_class_size_guide.pdf
The School Standards and Framework Act 1998 (Infant Class Sizes) (Modification) Regulations 1998 limits the size of an infant class during an ordinary teaching session to 30 pupils per school teacher. When a key stage 1 and/or a reception class reports 31 or more pupils per teacher, a class size query will appear on the schools return.
Infant class size legislation makes allowance for the entry of an additional child in very limited circumstances where it would be prejudicial to his or her interests not to admit them (‘excepted pupils’).
Circumstances where a child can be admitted as an ‘excepted pupil’ are where:
- children admitted outside the normal admissions round with statements of special educational needs specifying a school
- looked after children and previously looked after children admitted outside the normal admissions round
- children admitted, after initial allocation of places, because of a procedural error made by the admission authority or local authority in the original application process
- children admitted after an independent appeals panel upholds an appeal
- children who move into the area outside the normal admissions round for whom there is no other available school within reasonable distance (the local authority has to confirm that the child qualifies under this category)
- children of UK service personnel admitted outside the normal admissions round
- children whose twin or sibling from a multiple birth is admitted otherwise than as an excepted pupil h) children with special educational needs who are normally taught in an special educational needs unit attached to the school, or registered at a special school, who attend some infant classes within the mainstream school.
These children will remain an ‘excepted pupil’ for the time they are in an infant class or until the class numbers fall back to the current infant class size limit.
Your child will not be considered an excepted pupil purely on the basis that you missed the deadline for applications, even if the school is your PAA school.
Kirklees’ guidance on Class Size appeals: http://www.kirklees.gov.uk/community/parentsCarers/schools/pdf/ClassSizeAppealNotes.pdf