Benefits & Other Funding

Use these quick links to make sure you know about all the government support you could or should be getting. The government support system can be very confusing, but help is available to make sure that you’re getting all the benefits to which you’re entitled – see below.  (These figures are subject to change, please check with the relevant bodies for confirmation).

Ensure that you keep a copy of any forms that you fill in – it will save time when you’re filling in other forms which may ask the same questions.

  1. DLA for children
  2. What is carer’s allowance
  3. Help understanding the benefits system
  4. Direct payments & child benefits
  5. Online benefits calculators

1. Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children

 DLA for children can help you with the extra costs of looking after your disabled child. Your child must be under 16 and have difficulties walking or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability. The DLA rate is between £22.00 and £141.10 a week and depends on the level of help your child needs. Your child might need an assessment to work out what help they need.

2. Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit to help you if you look after someone who is disabled.

It is extra money to help you look after your child if they have substantial caring needs. You could also get Carer’s Credit so there won’t be any gaps in your National Insurance record. Carer’s Allowance is £62.70 a week. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for. You must be 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for your child.

 3. Help understanding the benefits system

Find details about a range of benefits, tax credits and other financial support that you may be able to receive as a carer. Includes carer’s allowance, carer’s credit, community care grants, child tax credit, the Sure Start maternity grant, direct payments for carers, the disabled child premium, the enhanced disability premium and much more.

4. Direct payments for disabled children

Direct payments can be used for a variety of services that offer your child stimulation, new experiences and independence. This includes short breaks, nursery placement with specialist support for your child, assistance to attend an activity, and personal care.

Parental leave

If you have a disabled child, you may have the right to parental leave for up to 18 weeks’ until their 18th birthday. To qualify, you must be an employee and have at least one year’s continuous service where you work.

Taking time off

If you are an employee, you have the right to unpaid time off work to deal with emergencies involving a dependent – this could be your husband, wife, partner, child, parent, or anyone living in your household as a member of the family.

Flexible working

You have the statutory right to ask for flexible working if you have, or expect to have, parental responsibility for a disabled child under 18 who receives Disability Living Allowance. Under the law, your employer must seriously consider an application you make, and only reject it if there are good business reasons for doing so.

Directgov: the Benefits Adviser provides information about all benefits, including disabilities.

  • Adviceguide: run by the Citizens Advice Bureau.
  • Benefits Enquiry Line: Freephone 0800 882200. Advice and a form-completion service for some benefits.
  • Turn 2 Us: Freephone: 0808 802 2000. Benefits, grants and other help and advice.

5. Online benefits calculators

Turn 2 us

You may also be able to get extra financial support if you already receive or are eligible for the following:

  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Maintenance
  • The Disabled Child Premium and the Enhanced Disability Premium (child rate).

Contact your job centre or Citizens Advice Bureau – they’ll be able to advise you in more detail.

Visit Better Off Kirklees to get help and advice about your own circumstances.