07771 977384

Requesting an Educational Health and Care Needs Assessement

Factsheet for Parents and Carers

Most children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) will have their needs met through SEN support in a mainstream, preschool, school, or college. This support is provided through school/college budget.

If the child or young person does not make expected progress over a period at SEN Support (usually 2 or 3 cycles of assess – plan – do – review) a request can be made for an Education Health and Care Needs Assessment. (EHC Needs Assessment) This assessment will identify if an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is required.

Funding for support within an EHCP is a top up to that already being provided by the school. The top up is funded by the Local Authority and delegated to the school to provide the support listed in the EHCP.

Download PDF Version

Download a printable version of this information (requires Adobe Reader)

Who can make a request for an EHC Needs Assessment?

Whoever makes the request for an EHC needs assessment, it is important to provide the Local Authority with as much Information and evidence as possible, so that they can consider your request properly

To make the decision they will need:

If a young person is aged over 18, the local authority must consider whether the young person requires additional time, in comparison to most others of the same age who do not have SEND, to complete their education or training and prepare them for adult life.

Whoever makes the request the education provider (pre-school, school, or college) parent, carer or young person will have to submit their views and evidence (outlined above) before the Local Authority can decide whether an EHC Needs Assessment is required

Where can we get information, advice and support?

At Kirklees Independent Advice Service (KIAS) and Calderdale SENDIASS we can give free, legally based, confidential, impartial advice and support including:

Who do I contact?

We would be happy to hear from you on:

KIAS – (Kirklees enquiries)
Telephone: 0300 330 1504

SENDIASS – (Calderdale enquiries)
Telephone: 01422 266141