07771 977384

Education Health and Care Plans

Guide for Young People

Some children and young people, who need extra help for learning, may have an Education, Health and Care Plan, often known as an EHC plan or EHCP.

Download PDF Version

Download a printable version of this information (requires Adobe Reader)

How might an EHC plan give me the support I need?

An EHC plan puts in writing your goals for life, what help you need to achieve these and what support you need from school, college or other people that work closely with you to help you make steps towards achieving these. The EHC plan will be used by those who support you to make sure that what is provided is right for you.

What does an EHC plan look like?

Everyone’s plan will be different because it is just about you and everyone has different strengths and difficulties.

It will include things about you and why you are unique:

Why might I need and EHC plan?

If you need more support in learning than your school or college can give, without additional funding from the Local Authority, you can request an EHC assessment anytime up to your 25th birthday.

If after an EHC needs assessment you get an EHC plan

If after an EHC needs assessment you get an EHC plan:

How long will the plan be in place?

EHC plans will only end:

What if I don’t agree with any parts of my EHC plan?

You can tell the SEND Team and they must listen to your views about what you need and what you disagree with. This might include:

How can I get an EHC plan?

The first step is to ask for an EHC assessment from your local SEND Team. This can be done by you, your parent or carer or your school or college.

At Kirklees Independent Advice Service (KIAS) and Calderdale SENDIASS we can give free, legally based, confidential, impartial advice and support including:

We would be happy to hear from you on:

KIAS – (Kirklees enquiries)
Telephone: 0300 330 1504
SENDIASS – (Calderdale enquiries)
Telephone: 01422 266141